Document Attestation | Legalization

California Apostille ServiceCountries who are NOT members of the Hague Apostille convention will require your documents to also be legalized at their Embassy or Consulate office. Depending on the jurisdiction of your documents (The state where your documents originated/notarized from), we can legalize your documents at any Embassy in Washington, D.C. or select Consulate General offices in Los Angeles.

The most common countries we legalize documents for are: China, Brazil, Kuwait, Qatar, United Arab Emirates (UAE), Guatemala, Chile, Indonesia, and Egypt.

Some non-member countries may not require U.S. Department of State certification.  Please Contact Us and let us know what type of documents you have and destined for what country.  We can provide you an good faith estimate on the cost and processing time.

Here is an illustration to help explain the process better.

For example, documents destined for Kuwait require a three step process.  Your documents must first be certified at the State level prior to being submitted for certification through the U.S. Department of State in Washington, D.C.  Once complete, your documents will then be legalized at the Kuwait Embassy or Consulate (Depending on jurisdiction).  Please note that attestation, certification, and legalization have the same underlying meaning.


Click to download our California Apostille order form. Our Apostille service is fast, convenient, and saves you time and money.

Brazil Consulate Document Legalization

With our close proximity to the Brazilian Consulate General in Los Angeles, we can authenticate / legalize your documents through the Consulate in 1-2 business days.

The Los Angeles Consulate General of Brazil has jurisdiction over the following U.S. States: California, Arizona, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Utah, and Wyoming.  In order for your documents to be eligible for authentication through the Consulate, your documents must first be authenticated by the Secretary of State of the State which issued the documents.

We can process documents through all 50 U.S. States.  If you would prefer that we handle everything, please mail your original or certified document to our office for processing.  We’ll authenticate your documents with the Secretary of State and also the legalization through the Brazilian Consulate General in Los Angeles.

For example: You were born in Nevada and need your Nevada birth certificate legalized through the Brazilian Consulate office.  If you would prefer we handle everything from start to finish, you would mail to our office your original or certified Nevada birth certificate.  Our staff will process your document through the Nevada Secretary of State’s office and the Brazilian Consulate once complete.  In this example, the processing time would be 2-3 days for Nevada (Rush service) and 1-2 days for the Consulate.  Please allow an additional 1-2 business days for shipping.  If you are outside the country, we also provide international shipping.

Some of our clients prefer that we only handle the legalization process (Consulate only).  We’re okay with that too!

Our fast service ensures your documents will be processed quickly saving you time and money.  We have authenticated hundreds of documents through the Consulate General of Brazil in Los Angeles.  Call us now for an instant price quote.  Thank you.

Click to download our California Apostille order form. Our Apostille service is fast, convenient, and saves you time and money.

Document Legalization and Certification

Do your documents require legalization for use in another country?  Documents sent to countries who are non-members of the Hague Apostille Convention will receive a Certification.  A Certification is only issued by the California Secretary of State for documents originating in California.

Example of a Certification issued by the California Secretary of State

Most International Documents will require Document Legalization prior to being accepted by the State Department in Washington D.C., Consulate or Embassy offices.

The California Secretary of State authenticates signatures only on documents issued in the State of California signed by a notary public or the following public officials and their deputies:

  • County Clerks, Registrar-Recorder
  • Court Administrators of the Superior Court
  • Executive Clerks of the Superior Court
  • Officers whose authority is not limited to any particular county
  • Executive Officers of the Superior Court
  • Judges of the Superior Court
  • Notaries Public
  • State Officials

The most common types of documents include (Note: Some documents require a certified copy):

  • Marriage Licenses, Divorce agreements, Divorce Decree
  • Birth Certificates, Marriage Certificates, Death Certificates
  • Single Status to Marry, No record of a Marriage, Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage
  • Criminal Record – Criminal Background Check, California Department of Justice (DOJ)
  • Local Police, Sherriff’s Department, etc…
  • Power of Attorney – General, Special, Finance, Real Estate etc.
  • Notarized copies of Passport, Affidavits, and other documents
  • Papers for Adoption purposes
  • Transcripts (High School, College, University, or any other issuing agency)
  • Diploma, Degree Certificates, Graduation Records
  • Permission to Travel, Consent by Parent(s) to travel with Minor Children

If your documents also require Certification by the State Department in Washington D.C, we can help!  Please call us at 1-888-810-4054 or 1-310-876-8489.

Click to download our California Apostille order form. Our Apostille service is fast, convenient, and saves you time and money.